Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Coffee,College,Office,Auto and many more.....


Time has rolled out endlessly before I decided to put these thoughts onto the blogosphere realm.Much more waters have flown down the Periyar and more chuckles, nudges and guffaws have been an inspiration .I came upon this book titled"Moth Smoke" a coupla days before and exclaimed to my friend "Ohh your reading Moth Smoke?"Much to my chagrin ,that the title came out as "Moth(as in both) Smock." Voila!!I realised that I do have a mutant strain of a Mallu phonetic gene encrypted in my DNA.


Well,we Mallus are of course an indispensable lot on planet earth.(referrring to the famous quip of Neil Armstrong meeting a chai seller on moon).From chai sellers,to restaurenteers,from scallywags to enlightened, from intelligentsia to fraudsters and swindlers.. we are spawned all over the globe along with our atrocious phonetic artistry.Many a jokes have been cracked at the expense of an undoubting Appukuttan or Bijimol,let alone the fact that it escalates to the situation where anything that falls out of a Mallu mouth is immediately lapped up by aficionados and smirked at.I wonder,where does the problem lie in?We are a race who walks around with the 100 percent literacy tag on our foreheads and yet sadly theres something wrong somewhere.The chink in the armour being the dreaded "O".This seemingly innocent vowel lurks around trying to ambush many a Malayali.Those who fall prey to it architects the famous "ooto,cooffee,coollege" troika.Not just them..you can chip in with your own morbid collections.Thanks to these uncanny bevy of phonetics and acoustics swirled around by a Mallu mouth, I believe its easy for us to get the hang of any language in any cranny of the world.From rolling the French Rs to trilling the Spanish ones and maybe chat up with a Bushman from Kalahari,is never a daunting task.I always find secret pleasures in torturing my non-mallu friends into pronouncing "vazhapazham","palli"(church) , "palli"(lizard) and hoot mercilessly at their ramblings.V for vendetta!!!

At this stage I must also remark about another curious notoriety claimed by the Malayali.If you meet Sini ,Binu,Tinu,Liny or Jiju you can bet spot on they are from the Mallu clan.The four lettered names which remind u of pets are not the end of it.I know of Clever(who failed every year at school),Korea,Bright,Sweety to name a few.I have always thanked all the Gods Pagan and other that my parents had the commonsense to give me a normal name.I am positive Shitty Vargheses and Booby Mathews of Kerala would have shamefully died many a deaths in their lifetimes.

All this and more, I am sure most of us are going to be stuck with this mutant strain of mallu genome.With that right I may as well as proclaim "I am a zimble Mallu without an yem bee yay degree from coollege and not from the bissi gelf,but I go in an oto to my office and louuves to listen to pope and drink cooffee!!!"

No comments: