Friday, April 10, 2009

Remembering Jonas Thomas





New buds blossom, the old leaves shrivel and fall to consummate the circle. The circle of life. They begin as tender buds. Whispering with the winds. Later they acquire the brightest green to shimmer in the sun; hurting the eyes. At last, they grow yellow, brown and tremble at the slightest breeze. Then they fall. That fall makes way for the new. It goes on, the circle of life. Each one of us falls behind this cycle. Blindly following its wake, knowing perfectly well that at the end of the long day we must retire. Submit ourselves to a dark unknown truth. Does the leaf know that the fall is near? Do we comprehend that death is near? Rather, do we wait for It.? I do not, but here is the story of somebody who I think was born to die.

I do not like to remember him the way I first saw him. I saw a full sleeve arm and a vague figure working behind some unknown strange machines, occasionally pelting out loud comments. I do not want to conjure that amorphous picture when I think of him. I would like to borrow a colleague’s left brain for a while and search for a certain memory. The memory of how he first saw him. A man in his
ramshackled Lambretta scooter, flying into the rain with a cigarette between his lips. Drenched fully in the downpour. I have added colors to my borrowed vision. My minds palette sees it in a blue light. Undeterred, in the bluish night of downpour, drenched in the blue raindrops, in a blue full sleeved shirt. I like to remember him thus. Remembering Jonas Thomas.

Jonas
or Jonasettan as I call him was the online editor with kairali Tv, in Kochi.A very creative person always game for innovative ideas. I have heard several tales about Jonas' creative outputs and toil during the glorious good old days of the television network.Tales told by many a tongue. I wish I could have met him then, basking in his crowning glory. All I could see and make out was a little less than the last two years of his life.

The first time I met him I was fresh from college into my first working environment and was feeling quite small in front of all the big sharks. I was assigned to help him in the
PCR(production control room) and hiding my true nature, I tried to put up a very meek facade before him. It really worked because months later he told me “You were so sweet in those first weeks. Very cute and docile. I did not know that you were such a brat!" I think I got to know him more through our lunch sessions. We used to lunch together. A big group in a bigger circle and Jonas was mainly in limelight during these informal luncheons. Well...his soaring demand was only due to the awesome beef curry which was an indispensable part of his lunchbox. Myself being an ardent gourmet of the meat which most Hindus abhor, naturally was lured into the circle like how the moon draws the tide. Many such lunches and many a days later I think we fell into a close camaraderie. The nurturing hands also came in the form of another ritual, “going for a glass of lime juice from the nearby soda shack" which took place piously every evening. He was one of my close associates by then.Slowly he started revealing more about him. I realized as each day unfurled that he was one of the queerest persons I had ever met. He hadn't fallen in love till date (he was 33), he was on the lookout for a prospective bride who wouldn't want to work and who would bring him an enormous dowry (well, this was before the recession hit of course), he only wore full sleeve shirts, he always had to smother his countable number of hairs in some hair gel, and that he always reeked of alcohol and cigarette smoke.
He was addicted to alcohol. I do not know from when, but by the time I had met him a large part of his earnings were spent daily at the bar. A lot of people had warned him about this including me, but his reply was always nonchalant. He would say that anyhow one had to die at some point and hence why would one bother too much about life. This was always his attitude. Totally without a care in the world. Another fact of interest which I always noticed was his ego. A largely inflated pride which he only did put down in front of a very few people he really cared about. On one hand he was this "don't care”, slightly egoist, and in my words a partial MCP.But on the other hand he was this wonderful hard working, extremely talented technician. He was also a very caring generous person whose behavior I believe was misconstrued by many. He rarely praised anybody for the good efforts they did. His eyes were always for spotting errors. But once after I had hosted a show real bad and had to bear the brunt of others, he came up to a depressed me and said “You have it in you.Don't bother about what the others are telling you. Your first performance was simply brilliant.” That was him. Never ever heard him complement me on anything .But his words then was the best of them all.
Months passed. With me hogging his beef curry regularly and going for tea and snacks exercises. In the middle of all this I came to know about his fascination for many songs and movies. Most of them which talked about despair or some lost love. Out of them a particular song from the movie Aham which always haunted him. We also had our list of favorites among album songs. We had a song that we liked. It also told the tale of a long lost love. It had this beautiful violin piece and words which we used to sing.
Days passed and she came in. As an intern, again assigned like many interns to assist Jonas. She wasn't an exceptional beauty or charmer. A simple girl who brought the last nail down on his coffin. The nail of unrequieted love. The man who had never fallen in love till date was finally smitten by the bug that had caused many a big tree to fall. Maybe it was all because of us. All the harmless "pulling the leg” and making fun must have sowed romantically aligned ideas in his barren heart. And Jonas as he was, wasn’t human enough to accept that love cannot be bought. He could not scale the possibility of a person not loving him back. Months of reasoning, coaxing and persuation by colleagues and family could not douse the agony in him. She could not stand it as well. These ravings of love. She left without a trail. I still remember his tears as I told him that being loved back does not happen to everyone. He could never accept the fact that she could never love him. I still see his teary eyes and a weary face asking me quite innocently “but why can't she love me?”I never had an answer to that. It was beyond my human horizons to explain such a complex theory of the heart and soul. And he emerged a la Devdas.
I soon grew tired of these exercises. Trying hard to explain to him the pros and cons of this strange phenomenon called love. Trying to stop him from turning insane. I was never the angel who could stand his tantrums and stupours.Like all the others i started distancing him. Avoiding him to a certain extent. We all had our reasons. From the amount of unreturned money given to him from time to time, to the constant aura of alcohol he carried around with him, we were all irritated. Irritated at a man who was not human enough to worry about money or his future and move on with life.The final straw came with his hallucinations. He started hallucinating that the people in the office were plotting against him. He ranted like a madman in the middle of the night on the phone to stop the telecasts .Back from the hospital he still had doubts. One day as I was talking to him he asked me “Din't you sit with the other guys and connive against me.?” Aghast, I asked him,” Are you mad?" He said, “But I clearly saw you sitting with the others ,making plans to fire me from here." That was when I realized that he was slowly tight rope walking across that thin line. The thin line between sanity.The thin line between us and them.....
A whole lot of events followed, which I remember vaguely through a veil of misty memory. A group from the office slyly taking him to the de- addiction centre pretending they were going for a recce.His months there having no effect on him but an increased fervor of alcohol intake as he came out of it. Then I beleive came the jaundice part. The jaundice and the liver condition worsened.By then I had left my office and moved to Chennai without even telling him a proper goodbye. I have never called him after that.
On February 13th, 2009 he passed away. Once a long time ago, when we passed by his house for a shoot he had shown me his church and told me “This will be where i'll be laid when i die. You should come and see me then.” I flew on my vision and imagined him lying there in a coffin in his best suit, finally contented .His favorite violin piece from the album would play in the background, and through his unshed tears ill know that hes happy and sated. The lines went,"Do these dewdrops understand my agony? Do these tears understand my pain?"
I am sure now they will not have to know.Coz you are away. In another realm of the unknown. You live to be a profile in my friend's list, you live to be a song I hear, you live to be a memory I share...But you will never cease to live. You shall always remain with us.As the man in his full sleeved shirt with an ever lit cigarette between his lips ,that lived to cement the words of that famous Bard of Avon.
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. "

12 comments:

Thoughton said...

girl... i love the way you write... its very ummm poetic? if i may say so... flows beautifully in certain places..

As for jonas, well, i hope he finds peace wherever he is... there is a lesson in there for all of us!!

candic said...

WOW!! Impressed.. u ought to get the booker one day,try professional writing..hats off!!

Anu said...

what a thoughtful heart felt post...C'est beautiful!!!...loved the ending!!!

Unknown said...

like the writing...but i somehow feel that the post was too intriguing and left out the element of the impact Jonas had on your life and maybe people around him....but keep writing...u know who is waiting for ur posts.....

Unknown said...

Read ‘Remembering Jonas’… Excellent writing!!!! Good usage of words and expressions. I must appreciate your language adroitness (though I never appreciated u for anything till this date). It really touched my heart. And the way you concluded the article… It really felt. I’m thankful that u paid such homage to him!! Thanks…thanks a lot…. Now, throw away your characteristic laziness and start writing on serious subjects. Also try fiction. OK.

And, about Jonas? U know the relationship which Jonas and me had …… It was not a boss and employee....U know what he said when I met him last at the hospital? I was standing beside his bed, holding his hands and trying to just make him happy… suddenly he said “sir branding of the programme‘Hello Good Evening’ will end on 13th, so ask the marketing people to do something”…at that time only 10 percent of his conscious mind was working!!!!! Basically an online editor doesn’t have to worry about a programme branding…. But he was not like that. He used to irritate me till we get a branding order from the marketing dept. Such a workaholic person! That was Jonas…. I’m sure that nobody can describe him in few words…. he was beyond all that. And on the same 13th he died!!! Of course it was an end of a branding (as he said) called… JONAS THOMAS. U can imagine my state-of-mind when I see that red chair still lying in PCR. A man used to sit there, with his shivering hands, controlling some blinking buttons and shouting few words like cue, cut, etc…etc… Of course he will always remain with us.

S.Sreekanth said...

I think the profile above me belongs to somakumar sir if i am not wrong. You are right sir... I owe him a lot in my career. The one man who was always there to criticize me and at the same time encourage me. One of the first people whom i met at kairali when i came there 3 years ago. One of the people who started to make me feel that kairali is my second home... I miss him a lot... as u said sir, even i remember him when i see that chair :). I never knew that it was love that made all these problems for him!!... so sad to hear it. But somethings that need to happen will happen. And his dedication to work... its from him that i learnt it. He used to make fun of me when i came early and prepared for my songs.... but i knew that inside he said "good job buddy" and also no matter how busy he is, he would help me out with those tracks... and i will cherish the memories of my first Ganamela and Raindrops episodes where he was there giving me instructions and guiding me on what to do.... Will miss u a lot jonas etta... we will all really miss u a lot....

കേഡി കത്രീന said...

i still have jonas's number in my tele directory..couldnt delete it and i am still under the shock that just a few days before he left us he owed me 2months to finish certain official things i have asked him to do..
jonas..u be there in our hearts...and i wish to dream that you are working on it still and the months prolong!

Smita said...

A very touching piece, Anjana. Almost makes me feel that I know Jonas.
I think you should post more often. I love your choice of words.
As soon as I saw an update in your status message on Orkut, I thought you have written something new and hopped on to your blog.

Keep writing.
Smita.

chevasregal said...

Jonas is blessed for such a wonderful homage.. As friends, all tried to shift the course of his fate, but either we were too late, or we just failed to do enough..

May be he was so good to tolerate the world any longer.. His attitude and smiling face could never be deleted from our memories.. along with a pinch of guilt and pain!

All we could do now is to pray for his soul.. to rest in Peace.. But, lets also keep our hearts open for our dear ones, that such lamentation need not be repeated..

Good writing Anjana, you really gave a very honest account and a touching tribute for the lost friend! Never knew that you were so good! Keep it up.. … Salim

Jo said...

Let me start by appreciating you, anju, for the style of your writing... more than that, for the sincerity you've shown in your words. I know ur friendship, anju, and the pain that has written these words. No congrats...No hats off...Only a silent hug.

Always wen i cm there, he'll be the first 2 cm n mock at me finding out a reason for it. I dint know dat jonasetan was too nice at heart, until i got intimate with him thru star wars. he was the one and the only one to help me out in confusing situatons. i remember, once i ran 2 PCR, sat ther 4 smtime, without anyone knowing it. only jonasettan was ther. i cried a lot that time due to the tension and insult i went thru then. he never said a word. instead 2 days later i came to know that i was releived of a misunderstanding in association to star wars. he proved it... without me explaining anything, without asking me anything, he proved the innocence of my tears (even blasting at that girl). he was the only one there till this time, who made me believe that i have something in me. and i knew well about his passion for her, as she was close to me as well. but wen i cudnt balance between his sentiments and her arrogance, i started avoiding him slowly after much try. i saw him for the last time for my wedding. after that, wenevr i came to studio, there was his defeating absence as he was on treatment. smtimes i feel shame for my negligence for him...

wen i search for some number in my mobile, his name often glares to my eyes. Still its there. wen i see my marriage fotos in my computer, i get stuckd up with jonasettan's foto with anju n somettan near. 3-4 days before his death, i went 2 WE. wen i got into PCR, i askd someone ther wether jonasetan got allright and i got the answer dat he is recovering. and days later praveens message came "jonas thomas no more"!

I dint feel to cry then...
I dint call anyone...
as, sometimes words and tears are powerless before some intimate emotions...

Unknown said...

How lucky is this Jonas!

You, Anjana, Soma and Jo had brought your heart and love in it. I bow before you people. It was worth my time reading this articles.

The OxyMoron.... said...

thank you guys for goin through my blog and posting your remarks... reading all that you had to say about jonas emphasises the fact that he will always remain amidst us.i wish he is also aware of this blog and looking at it from another world.i am sure he will be happy.